Spring Break is a fun time to come to South Lake Tahoe. Here is some information about South Lake Tahoe.
Located on the California/Nevada border in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Lake Tahoe is the second largest alpine lake in North America. It also boasts the largest concentration of ski resorts in North America.
Ski Resort Facts
- 7 Ski Lake Tahoe resorts (Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe, Northstar-at-Tahoe™, Sierra-at-Tahoe®, Squaw Valley USA, Alpine Meadows, Heavenly, Kirkwood)
- 17,520 total skiable acres
- 535 total groomed trails
- 125 total lifts
- Average percentage of beginner terrain: 28%
- Average percentage of intermediate terrain: 42%
- Average percentage of advanced/expert terrain: 30%
- Average base elevation - 6,831 feet/2,082 meters
- Average summit elevation - 9,246 feet/2,818 meters
- Average days of sunshine per year - 300 days
- Average annual snowfall - 420 inches/35 feet/10.67 meters
- Typical season span - November through May
Lake Tahoe Neighborhoods
North Lake Tahoe Neighborhoods
- California - Alpine Meadows, Carnelian Bay, Kings Beach, Northstar, Squaw Valley, Tahoe City, Tahoe Vista, West Shore
- Nevada - Incline Village, Crystal Bay
South Lake Tahoe Neighborhoods
- California - South Lake Tahoe, Meyers
- Nevada - Stateline, Kingsbury, Zephyr Cove
Getting to Lake Tahoe
- Nearest Airport - Reno-Tahoe International Airport (approximately 50-60 miles from Lake Tahoe)
- Distance from Sacramento - 103 miles (from South Lake Tahoe)
- Distance from San Francisco - 200 miles (from Tahoe City)
- Lake Tahoe is the second deepest alpine lake in North America.
- The lake is 12 miles wide and 22 miles long and 72 miles around
- It is 1,645 feet at its deepest point, though it's average depth is 949 feet.
- The lake holds 39 trillion gallons of water, which, if emptied into area the size of California, would fill the state to a depth of 14 inches.
- Due to its depth, the lake never fully freezes. The surface temperature of the lake ranges from 41 degrees F to 68 degrees F.
- Lake Tahoe straddles the California/Nevada state borders, with 2/3 of the lake in California and 1/3 in Nevada
- Lake Tahoe has 63 tributaries feeding into the lake and only one outlet - the Truckee River at Tahoe City - draining out of the lake.
- The sun shines at Lake Tahoe during 75% of the year, or 274 days.